Introduction – Building Blocks
An Architectural Framework is an architectural pattern that provides an extensible template for applications Architecture. These are some of the best practices followed by Architects to deliver world class enterprise system to meet business demands, growth and changes.
What is Enterprise Business?
- Common Ownership
- Geographically Distributed Business
- Multiple Divisions, Departments.
- Global Business Partners
- Multiple Missions and Functions
What is Architecture?
- Detailed plan of the system at component level to guide its implementation
- Structure of components, their inter-relationships, and the principles and guidelines governing their design and Principals
What are Domains of Architecture?
Moving from Baseline “As is now” to Target “To Be (Future) ” Architecture
- EA = BA + IT = BA + [ Information Systems Architecture + Technology Architecture ]
- Business Architecture : How Business is Organized to meet enterprise Goals and Objectives
- IT Architecture : Information Systems Architecture + Technology Architecture
- Systems Architecture : How Information Systems supports Business Goals and Objectives
- Technology Architecture : How Technology fits together to support Business Goals and Objectives
What are Benefits of Good Enterprise Architecture?
Benefits come into IT, Finance, and Productivity Areas of Business IT Related Benefits
- Better IT Operations
- Lower Risks,
- Increased Security, Portability and Interoperability
- Reduced Development and Maintainability costs
- Easier Upgrades to help reduce or minimize downtime
Finance Related Benefits
- Increased ROI
- Higher rate of Business Continuity
- Reduced Risks coming out due to Mergers and Acquisitions and Business Expansions into New Areas
Time-Business Related Benefits
- Faster and easier Procurement cycles
- Ability to buy out from multiple vendors
What is Enterprise Architecture?
- Support the business by providing the fundamental technology and process structure for an IT strategy
- Advantages of Good Enterprise Architecture
- Lower software development, support, and maintenance costs
- Increased portability of applications
- Improved interoperability and easier system and network management
- Improved ability to address critical enterprise-wide issues like security
- Easier upgrade and exchange of system components
- Maximum return on investment in existing IT infrastructure
- The flexibility to make, buy, or out-source IT solutions
- Reduced risk overall in new investment, and the costs of IT ownership
What is Architectural Framework?
Foundation Structure which can be used to leverage different Architectures
- Architecture framework will speed up and simplify architecture development
- Ensure more complete coverage of the designed solution
- Make certain that the architecture selected allows for future growth in response to the needs of the business
- Reliable, proven method for developing an IT enterprise architecture that meets the needs of business
- Some of the Standard frameworks are TOGAF, ZACKMAN, DODAF
Who are Stake Holders ?
- They are the key people who have concerns that need to be addressed by the IT systems within the organization
- They can be CEO, CTO, IT Manager, Technical , HR , Finance Manager etc